From:
Taylor Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 May 1993 23:23:46 -0700
     This message concerns three things.  First, because of system
modifications here at UBC, my personal e-mail address has been changed
to <[log in to unmask]>.  This change won't affect the way you
interact with the Mark Twain Forum, but please note that messages
intended only for me should be addressed to my new address.

     Second, while playing with the GOPHER utility on my new system, I
discovered allegedly public domain electronic texts of two Twain novels:
_Tom Sawyer Abroad_ and _Tom Sawyer, Detective_.  If you're interested
in getting these e-texts you might want to download them to your PC as
soon as possible, since it's happened at least twice in the past that
"public domain" Twain e-texts have been released, only to be taken
offline shortly afterward.

     If you don't have a GOPHER utility, there may be a way to get these
files by anonymous FTP, though I'm not sure from what sites or
directories.  If someone here has the technical know-how and time to
figure it out, it would be great if you could post some brief
instructions to TWAIN-L for the benefit of everyone.  Otherwise, I may
be able to add these files to the Forum filelist sometime during the
summer--but please be patient.

     Finally, I've been getting some bounced mail from people who I
suspect have left campus for the summer but forgotten to signoff their
list subscriptions.  I should've suggested it sooner, but if you'll be
leaving soon, please send a "SIGNOFF TWAIN-L" command to either
<[log in to unmask]> or <[log in to unmask]>.  When you return
in the fall, you can resume your subscription with the command "SUB
TWAIN-L Your-Full-Name".

Taylor Roberts
Mark Twain Forum coordinator