From:
"Vernon H. Ela" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1993 17:31:05 -0400
Having only joined this list a few weeks ago, I have been following with
interest all of the messages about one of my favorite authors.  I joined
this listserv because I just love Twain's works, and still go back and
re-read Huck Finn, Connecticut Yankee, and the one which really turned me
into a devoted Twain lover - Letters From the Earth.  My copy of Letters
>From The Earth was edited by Bernard deVoto.  I don't see too many Twain
books edited by him anymore.  Are his commentaries generally accepted by
Twain scholars, and if not - is there someone whose 'interpretations' of
Twain are more accepted?  These may be very basic, and possibly irrelevent
questions, but I'm not a literary scholar - just a reader who loves Twain.

By the way, I guess I was initially a little shocked over the discussion
of Twain's sexuality.  But, as a 'non-yabbo', I would have to say that any
valid research which gives us insight into Twain the man, must eventually
help all of us to enjoy his works even more.  Thanks to all of you for
enlightening me, I look forward to continuing education on this subject.

Best regards,

Vernon H. Ela