From:
Robert E Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 2012 15:41:45 -0500
Hearking back to the discussion of whether Twain made certain quotations, I
 am curious as to other folks' reaction to a couple of phrases Twain did
use--but  only one time.

In Roughing It, Twain says he and John Kinney found the "Cache" of the
Brigade Boys at their Lake Tahoe timber claim camp. He puts it in quotation
marks. In a word check of over 300 Twain works, including his letters and his
first book of dictation, he never used the word in print again.
In a letter from Aurora, Esmeralda mining district, to Orion, he says "But
I have struck my tent in Esmeralda. . . .  I am a citizen here [Esmeralda}
now, and I am satisfied. . . ." Then, in the same manner as "cache," he
never again uses the phrase. A word check of "struck" reveals many uses,  but
the phrase "struck my tent" or "struck his tent" never occurs after the
1862 letter.. Neither phrase shows up again, although he does use "struck out"
as in "shouldered our pans and shovels and struck out over the hills to try
new  localities."
Contrary to the more common use  of "struck my tent," I think he means  he
is no longer "a temporary camper" and has taken up being a resident. I find
no use of the phrase that way (as compared to "breaking camp and
departing", the  more common meaning) in 1800s newspapers. So, I am guessing Sam had
heard the  phrases "struck my tent" and "cache" for the first time, and was
trying it  on for size, and found they didn't fit his personal lexicon.
On the other hand, in the
But I would like to hear from others, especially if you have a different
thought.
Many thanks.
Bob Stewart