From:
Peggy A Dolan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 14:58:52 -0400
In the Paine biography, I came across a reference to & quotes from a
speech in which Twain applauded the President for removing "In God
We Trust" from the currency. I understood the date to be in 1907.

Did this happen? The President would have been Roosevelt, who was
supposed to have referred to Tom Paine as "that dirty little atheist",
wouldn't it? Was Twain employing sarcasm that went right over my head?
If anyone can clarify this reference, I'd be grateful.

Peggy A Dolan