From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2007 10:23:49 -0500
RIP Mark; I always think of those late evening moments at Quarry Farm, after
the picnic during the MT conferences, when some of the faithful gather in a
circle down the path where the study originally sat, and some folks light
cigars in memory of the man, while others gently sway to the sound of old
spirituals or folk songs. . . .  One of the best rituals of those
conferences, btw.

The NY Times eulogy reminded me:

Genuine question-- I am trying to recall exactly why Twain kept that French
Revolution volume by Carlyle nearby but I cannot -- and I am just too lazy
to look it up.  Anyone care to refresh our communal memory as to some of the
reasons he valued it so much at the end??

I know Joe Fulton has said a lot about that volume. . . .

Harold K. Bush, Ph.D
Saint Louis University
St. Louis, MO