Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1992 21:56:00 EST
The basis of Samuel Clemens dialogue in the recent episode of
Star Trek appears to be "Was the World Made for Man?" which may
be found in WHAT IS MAN? AND OTHER PHILOSOPHICAL WRITINGS, UCal Press,
1973, pgs. 101-106 written in 1903.  It includes the references
to Alfred Russel Wallace and the discussion of the oyster that
the Clemens character asserted in the program.  I was wondering
what year they were attempting to set the story in.

Those interested in science fiction and Mark Twain might also
find two books of interest.  Kirk Mitchell's NEVER THE TWAIN
is also set in San Francisco and involves time travel.  It
is a thoroughly enjoyable and well-written book.  David
Carkeet's I BEEN THERE BEFORE about Clemen's return with
Halley's Comet in 1985 is a tour de force that pokes fun
at all the sacred establishments of Twain scholarship.

It will be interesting to see how the Star Trek writers
resolve the season-ending cliff hanger that ended in a puff
of smoke from SLC's cigar.

K.B.