From:
MARK DAWIDZIAK <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MARK DAWIDZIAK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2018 18:27:59 +0000
Kevin has said this far more eloquently than I could. I heard the sad news a few hours ago and have been struggling for words ever since. And the flat of it is, Barry would understand that, although he was seldom at a loss for words. He came of age as a humorist and satirist at time when cerebral comedy had a place on the comedy circuit -- when it was assumed that at least a segment of the audience wanted to be challenged by intellectual and passionately crafted material. He remained fiercely outspoken, even when there were fewer outlets for that voice to be heard. That sometimes rubbed people the wrong way, but, although we fell out of contact in recent years, I never stopped being impressed by the Niagara of caring behind the provocative front. And, yes, part of that caring was that Barry absolutely and completely loved Mark Twain's writing. This was not a casual interest. Nor was it expressed casually. I still can remember his great delight over and enthusiasm for the publication of Kent Rasmussen's "Mark Twain A to Z." Just the sheer joy that such a volume existed. I also remember the calls when he was writing newspaper pieces and wanted advice about dealing with editors (as if I've ever figured that one out). I think the 1997 conference was the only Elmira gathering he attended . . . or was it 2001? Memory plays tricks . . . about the time, not the person.