From:
"Nesbit, Stanton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2012 14:49:41 -0600
Abisante is an anise-flavored substitute for absinthe.   Since absinthe was not outlawed in most countries until the early 20th century, I suspect your original Earthquake might have called for the real deal.

Earthquake, indeed, no doubt with a few aftershocks.  Can anyone confirm this with literature from the period?

Stanton Nesbit