Sender:
From:
Beth Regish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 1996 14:31:57 EDT
A trip to Canterbury is a must.  Canterbury also gives you easy access
to Dover and Folkstone, where the Chunnel is located.  When the Chunnel
was being built a few years ago, they had a wonderful 'museum' at the site
that was worthwhile, complete with a 'French' cafe (probably some of the
best food in England!).  Just kidding.  Dover had an extraordinary museum
that had just opened when I was over there, too; it traced the major
milestones of Dover history (Roman conquest, Britain's ties to the sea,
even 'Dover Street', a mock-up of WWII Dover Street with bombed out
buildings and an air raid bunker) that I think your class would enjoy
very much.  A book that might come in handy for you and your class is
_Americans in London_, by Brian Morton, which will give you a friendly
and informative street tour of the London 'homes and haunts' of Americans
from "John Adams to Fred Astaire" to, yes, even Mark Twain.  And, to give
them a feel of a true university town, take them to Oxford or Cambridge
and set them punting!  It was the most fun I had in England!  Please
let me know how your plans go...I'd be interested to hear about the
trip and your students' reactions....

Beth Regish
Smithsonian Institution Libraries