From:
Benjamin Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2024 19:22:04 -0800
That said, looking over the list you gave, *Innocents* (1869) clearly
preserves a lot of authorial spellings. Clemens's preferences as found in
the MSS are:

ancle
centre
irruption
lustre
ploughed
pretence
spectre
sceptre
staid
theatre

Clemens was a 99% excellent speller but some diosyncratic spellings of his,
which sometimes survived into print but more often were "ancled" by the
printer, include "recal" (for recall), "envelop" (for envelope), and
"rhind." He never mastered the exceptions to "i before e", and invariably
wrote "wierd" and "sieze." So in some respects the printers were doing
valuable work.