From:
Messent Peter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 13:16:39 -0000

I pass on a message from a colleague, though have not yet checked it our
myself. 'The latest installment of historian Simon Schama's British TV
series on The American Future (called American War) had a section that
dealt with Twain's position in relation to American belligerence (and
the Philippino war in particular, as well as disagreements with Theodore
Roosevelt).
If you are interested, go to this link below where you can find more
information and in fact can still watch the whole broadcast online for 5
more days:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00f08h0
The series is rather enjoyable, though patchy. I am sure it doesn't add
any particular nugget of information on Twain but perhaps it might be
interesting in relation to how Twain is still used in contemporary
debate.
ps: a tip, if you decide to watch the show, click on the 'watch in
pop-out player' banner as it ensures better quality.'

Pete