From:
stevehoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
stevehoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2013 17:50:01 -0400
I don't mean to sound like a grouch but many of the recent awardees are just unworthy.  They give it to Hollywood and TV celebrities so all their Hollywood and TV friends can be part of the big star-studded gala program.  That's all it's really about, imo.  TV folks like Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert are worthy because, like Twain, their humor is tired to social satire and their programs have truly impacted public debate. But just to give it to comedians and comediennes who did funny sketch comedy on TV or acted in silly comedy movies - bah, humbug.

If anyone deserves the award nowadays, imo, it'd be the founders and editorial staff of TheOnion.com.

Steve Hoffman
Takoma Park MD