Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 28 Jan 2015 14:53:16 -0600
I've been out of town and very busy or would respond a bit quicker--

To reply to two points:

1. Alf Doten and the timing of his prank: Clemens took on his nom de plume
early in 1863 and if my memory serves the first newspaper account with the
bar tab story did not appear until 1877, so Doten had plenty of time to pull
his prank AFTER Clemens became Mark Twain. If Doten met Twain a few times in
1864 he could have been telling his story any time after that, and like all
gossip, the story spread from that point on among others in various forms.

2. Why did Clemens adopt a nom de plume? I hate to repeat myself, but please
read my article where I address this specific point in considerable detail.
The short version: It has to do with gaining a reputation in the newspaper
exchange system (there was no newspaper called THE EXCHANGE as an article in
the MARK TWAIN ANNUAL asserts, so I suggest that writer read --or reread--
my article also). Newspaper editors often copied pieces from other papers
without attribution, but when a comic nom de plume was attached to a piece
they tended to include it. If the author of a piece was clever enough to
insinuate his own persona and nom de plume into the structure of the piece
he was writing --say, as a character, as Twain often did-- it made it harder
for other editors copying one of his pieces to drop his name. By having your
pieces spread under your own name (that is, your own nom de plume) you made
yourself more valuable to your own newspaper because that paper became more
popular in the exchange system, and you could get paid more. It also built a
brand through the exchange system, and once you had a recognized nom de
plume, you could launch a lecture career or gather up your newspaper pieces
into a book and earn even more from your writings. Virtually every newspaper
writer aspired to be better known, increase his income, and advance his
career, and virtually every such writer who established even a minor
reputation with a nom de plume tried his hand at the lecture circuit and
published collections of his writings in book form --as did Twain. This
explains both his motivation and the timing of his decision to create a nom
de plume that he then stuck with to the end of his life. This is not my
theory alone; for more information on the exchange system and how nom de
plumes functioned as I've described I strongly suggest reading WRITING WITH
SCISSORS by Ellen Gruber Garvey, whom I credit in my article. It's an
excellent piece of scholarship which I reviewed for the Mark Twain Forum. Of
course, if you fear that reading Garvey's book might challenge what you
think you know about nom de plumes and the newspaper exchange system then
don't go anywhere near this book and if you dare to read my article then
avert your eyes from my citations and footnotes.

3. OK, here's a third "bonus" point: as for how often Sam Clemens heard the
term "mark twain" when working on the lower Mississippi and what term he
actually used at the time instead of "mark twain" those are not addressed in
my article, but I know the answers and they are explained and amply
documented in the text of my updated article on his nom de plume --but that
won't be offered for publication until I have a couple of other articles put
to bed. The answers may surprise you. Like so much of Twain's self-generated
mythologies, the facts are at serious variance with the myth.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive