Barbara Gail Ladd <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 3 Nov 2008 12:32:24 -0500
It occurred to me this morning as I was circulating the following calls
for papers that a paper on Mark Twain and music might be
interesting...and then I realized that I know of nothing that has ever
been written about Mark Twain and music. I'm probably overlooking
something very obvious, but ....

MUSIC AND WRITING IN THE U.S. SOUTH (MLA 2009; deadline 3/5/09)
Proposals welcome on the connections, intersections, and interactions
between music and writing in the southern United States. Papers might
address the nature of narrative and lyric in southern writing; oral
traditions of song and chant; the role of the musician in southern
literature; the blues (or jazz) aesthetic in literature; or southern
writing and any aspect of musical expression. These suggestions are not
meant to be exhaustive—other approaches are welcome.

Please send abstracts of 300-500 words, along with any requests for a-v
support, to Barbara Ladd ([log in to unmask]) by March 5, 2009.
Inquiries welcome.

Barbara Ladd
Emory University