From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2023 10:41:59 -0700
Sam and George took a break from their lecture tour following their
Cleveland lecture December 17, 1884.  It's reported that Sam went first
to New York before spending Christmas in Hartford.  The Mark Twain
Project has a letter posted from an unknown location to Laurence Hutton
on December 19. I am curious about the route Sam took and knowing the
location of this posting would help with this query.

He would most likely have taken the Lakeshore Railroad to either Dunkirk
or Buffalo.  From either of these location Sam could take the New York,
Lake Erie and Western (the name of the Erie Railroad from 1878 to
1895).  From Dunkirk he would pass through Salamanca.  Either route
would take him through Elmira and I have found no reference to his
visiting Elmira at this time.  Another route from Buffalo would be on
the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

--
/Unaffiliated Geographer and Twain aficionado/