From:
Jerry Vorpahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2014 21:34:11 +0000
I don't think the difference is as much in who wrote the material as in humor then and now. Now, it's the big set up followed by a snappy one-liner you didn't expect. Then, MT and many others would tell a story with multiple endings, each funnier than the last. To wit: Twain's advice to an older woman to give up smoking and drinking and swearing to cure her lumbago. "But how can I" she said, "I don't do any of those things." To which Twain replied, "Well, there you are. She'd neglected her habits. She was a sinking ship with no cargo to throw overboard."

Each line gets a bigger laugh than the last. Only George Carlin and Tim Conway have used this style effectively since Twain.