From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 18:53:22 -0600
I am interested in finding secondary sources (or even primary from 100
years ago or so) that discuss Mark Twain as image of America overseas
(especially in Europe/UK).  I am aware of many of the key sources covering
some of these issues such as Twain's public image, like Louis Budd's _Our
Mark Twain_, John Seelye's _MT at the Movies_, and Shelley Fisher Fishkin's
_Lighting Out_.  What I would like are less well-known sources that
discuss, for example, how Twain was viewed as representative American by
the French, or English, or whomever (pro and con, as well).  Double bonus
would be those sources with actual plates/figures of ads, or whatever, that
pictured Twain as such.

Any suggestions??

Dr. Harold K. Bush, Jr.
Assistant Professor
Dept. of English
Saint Louis University
221 N. Grand Blvd.
Saint Louis, MO  63103
(work)  314-977-3616
(home)  314-861-3929;  <[log in to unmask]>