From:
"Brent M. Colley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2011 14:09:58 -0500
http://www.sharonhist.org/inventor-frank-sprague.pdf

The link above is the story of Frank Sprague. I came across Sprague
while looking for "Twain Connections" here in Connecticut. It was a
very surprising connection because A). I never thought I'd find a
Twain connection here in Sharon, where I live now and B). Because it
uncovered a mans life that I never knew existed. I've noted some of
his accomplishments below *they're amazing!* and I share this link
here on the forum because the author (Ed Kirby) liked the "Twain
Connection" so much that he decided to include it within the story. In
his research, he also found that the Spragues were also close with the
Howells and added that in after the Twain story.

Ed Kirby's daughter now lives in the Sprague house and has agreed to
alert me if she comes across any more photos from Clara's wedding. :)

I wish you all an enjoyable holiday!

Brent M. Colley

Frank Sprague-

Known as "The Father of Electric Traction", engineer genius Frank
Julian Sprague and his family owned a home in Sharon, Connecticut for
nearly twenty years in the early twentieth century.

As a mathematical genius and inventor Sprague developed a new breed of
electric motors that provided horizontal traction for cutting edge
vehicles such as the trolley car and subway train.

In the field of vertical traction Sprague developed electric elevators
that far surpassed the effectiveness of the water, steam and hydraulic
systems.

Among his numerous accomplishments were the development of the
electric streetcar, the electric multi-unit control for light transit
trains, and electric elevators for extremely high-level city buildings.

The inventions of Frank Sprague not only made transportation more
available and practical, they had a profound affect on the economic
growth of cities.

http://www.sharonhist.org/inventor-frank-sprague.pdf