John Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 2 Jun 2015 11:44:14 -0400
Some Mark Twain enthusiasts may also be interested in Mad Magazine. (I think
Mark Twain would have been.) Judith Lee and I are following our special
issue of Studies in American Humor on Mad Magazine with a book. Here is the
call for papers:

Call for papers for a book on Mad magazine. We are looking for scholarly
examinations of the magazine, its humor, its artists, its cultural and
political impact, and its influence. The book is under consideration by a
major university press, and will expand what was covered in a recent special
issue of Studies in American Humor. Here is the link to the contents of that
issue: http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.5325/studamerhumor.issue-30

Possible topics include the following:  feminist approaches; racial issues;
humor types/genres/media; movie and TV parodies; recurring features, such as
“Spy vs. Spy”; examinations of specific artists/writers; precursors;
legacy/influence; and others.

Please send queries or proposals by September 15, 2015 to Judith Yaross Lee,
the editor of Studies in American Humor:  [log in to unmask]

John Bird