From:
Tracy Wuster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 2015 08:15:52 -0500
We received notice from Jack Rosenbalm’s family that he passed away on
Tuesday, September 22.  His family asked that the AHSA notify members of
our organization and of the Mark Twain Circle.

Jack Rosenbalm was one of the founding members of American Humor Studies
Association and took over *Studies in American Humor* after the sudden
death of its then current editor. He served the AHSA in a number of
capacities – as Managing Editor of *Studies in American Humor *(since its
inception in 1976), Editor of *Studies in American Humor,* and
Secretary-Treasurer of AHSA, spanning over two decades. He was largely
responsible for keeping AHSA afloat during some lean times for us.

Jack was awarded the prized “Charlie Award” on December 29, 1992 at the MLA
meeting in New York. Such a distinguished record of service stretching over
much of Jack’s professional lifetime endows us with a special
appreciation.  In 2013, the AHSA created the *Jack Rosenbalm Prize for
American Humor, *which is awarded to non-tenure track scholars for the best
article on humor studies published over a two year period.  The family is
asking that in lieu of flowers, friends should send a donation to the Jack
Rosenbalm Prize at AHSA in Jack's memory. Members of the Association who
may also wish to send a donation to the Prize can send their checks
directly to the Secretary/Treasurer:

Jennifer Hughes, Secretary-Treasurer

American Humor Studies Association

Averett University, 316 Frith Hall

Danville, VA 24541

Or donate online via our “Membership” page.  Follow the instructions below
the form to donate.
https://americanhumorstudiesassociation.wordpress.com/membership-2/join-electronically/

Jan McIntire-Strasburg is planning a memorial issue of To Wit.  David E. E.
Sloane will be writing a memorial, but we would also like to have other
members send their memories of Jack and put them into the issue as well.
Please send Jan your memories via email ([log in to unmask]) before October
20th so that she can get the issue out.