Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 2020 10:56:21 -0700
From:
Martha Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
To: Larry <[log in to unmask]>
The theme of an elitist white child ameliorating though not entirely
overcoming racial stereotypes under the pressure of adversity (how is this
the theme of Huckleberry Finn?) is fairly common in Victorian Christian
juvenalia that have India as a theme. If I were looking for juvenile works
that might have influenced Mark Twain I would definitely look at Little
Henry and his Bearer (1814)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_History_of_Little_Henry_and_his_Bearer
which *"Little Henry* went through 18 printings between 1814 and 1824 alone.
[1]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_History_of_Little_Henry_and_his_Bearer#cite_note-Regaignon,_84-1>
It appeared every three years (on average) until 1883. The book was also
popular in the United States in the first half of the nineteenth century,
until 1852 when *Uncle Tom's Cabin
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Tom%27s_Cabin>* superseded it. One
scholar has suggested that Harriet Beecher Stowe
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriet_Beecher_Stowe> used Henry as a model
for "Little Eva" in her novel,"

Martha Sherwood (no relation, apparently, to the author Of Little Henry -
it was her married name. The several times great aunt after whom I was
named, born 1845, may have been named after her. The family were good New
England evangelical Methodists.)