From:
ASPONBERG@VALPO
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1992 10:30:00 CST
Deirdre ([log in to unmask]) writes "I have encountered such absolute
obstinance on the part of most of my students that  I was wondering if
there is a better (read: possibly easier) way to teach the same or similar
lessons." Maybe us old codgers could be a little more helpful if you could
describe the "presenting symptoms" of this obstinacy more specifically.
What words and behavior do your students use do indicate their resistance?
What reasons do they give for not wanting to read? I have a 16 year old
son who struggled with SCARLET LETTER, ETHAN FROME, and is having a somewhat
better time with GATSBY. But Huck's charm has been proven over time and I'm
curious to know what is the context of your own students resistance. In the
meantime, may I ask if you have simply tried reading the story aloud - or
having your students read it aloud. Many reader's fall under the spell of
Huck's voice and style within the first few paragraphs.

Gus Sponberg
Valparaiso University