From:
John Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2023 18:20:35 -0500
Other stories by MT that do not truly end and/or leave readers hanging, in
addition to "Grandfather's Old Ram" (1872), are "An Awful, Terrible
Medieval Romance" (1870) and "A Story without an Ending" (1897), sometimes
published as "John Brown and Mary Taylor" or "A Delicately Improper Tale."
Although it has an ending, *A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court *(1889)
ends in doubt, for the Yankee anyway, a doubt that can extend to the
reader.  Even when its unattached ending is attached, the same can be said
for *No. 44, The Mysterious Stranger *(published 1969).  As mentioned in my
essay about Mark Twain's use of frameworks, because many of his short
writings are taken from longer works, such as *Roughing It, A Tramp Abroad,
and Life on the Mississippi, *beginnings and endings are not always
the same in various reprintings: e.g., Does "The Bluejay Yarn" (1880) begin
with the narrator's trek through the Black Forest or with the description
of Jim Baker and his relationship to blue jays?  Some of Mark Twain's
stories in some anthologies end with more paragraphs than the same stories
do in other anthologies. *Adventures of Huckleberry Finn *begins where *The
Adventures of Tom Sawyer* ends. The unfinished *Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry
Finn Among the Indians, *begun soon after he finished *AHF*, takes its
premise and beginnings from Huck's "But I reckon I got to light out for the
Territory ahead of the rest...," said at the end of *AHF. *Although the
story we read has an ending, we realize that, because the story within
"Cannibalism in the Cars" (1868) is retold multiple times, the number of
people eaten increases or decreases depending on when the teller begins his
tale and when he must leave the train where he tells it, so the endings
within the narrative can vary.

Mark Twain pulls readers in and involves them in his writings, sometimes
perplexing them by unending the stories. The Jumping Frog Story has an
ending, but--like "Grandfather's Old Ram," "Medieval Romance," and "Story
without an Ending," it is a joke--not only upon its narrator but upon the
reader who is left wishing to know more about "a yaller one-eyed cow that
didn’t have no tail, only just a short stump like a bannanner." How does
one bet on this creature? Other stories involve readers in different ways.
For instance, a narrator in "A Curious Experience" (1881) who deliberately
ignores details should lead readers to note them.

Mark Twain was a metafictionist before we knew metafiction.

--

John H. Davis, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus of English