From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 2017 19:52:33 -0600
I can't speak to the accuracy of the story in the newspaper, but I can offer
a few comments. I inspected the mold myself in 2015 and, seeing how serious
the problem was, advised that steps be taken as soon as possible to stop its
spread and treat the damage, much of which was minor, but would still
require tedious and careful treatment. The mold I saw was confined to
objects in one or two storage areas in the visitor's center. They brought in
experts and addressed the problem quickly, and I especially want to single
out Tracy Brindle for staying on top of the issue. I have full confidence in
their efforts, as evidenced by the fact that I loaned them nearly $100,000
worth of Mark Twain materials from my personal collection for their exhibits
in 2015 and 2016, will continue to loan materials whenever I'm asked, and
urge others to do the same without hesitation.

A word about molds: I set up a conservation lab at a university in the 1970s
when I was a young librarian, and dealt with mold issues back then. Mold is
everywhere. It's in my home and all of your homes, in cars, in offices, and
in the air you breath. The issue is not whether mold is present, but whether
it is a harmful variety of mold, and whether it is active or dormant (some
of you might want to take a moment to check your showers, your fridges, and
your central a/c units). The ideal climate for conservation is 50 degrees
and 50% humidity with low lighting, but that's not a comfortable or healthy
environment for humans who must work around such objects, so most rare book
libraries and museums maintain separate climate controls for their storage
areas and more lax controls for exhibit areas--usually a low humidity, a
higher temperature, and comfortable lighting levels. Things like leaking
pipes and malfunctions in heating and cooling units often cause isolated
outbreaks, but once the objects affected are treated and climate controls
are restored, the problem is resolved.

I congratulate the Mark Twain House & Museum for facing this issue head-on.
The Mark Twain House and its artifacts are in good hands.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive