Matthew Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 Jan 2020 07:22:16 -0500
Hey, Hal -

Dave Chappelle was announced as the recipient last Fall. Dwayne Eutsey wrote a nice piece about Chappelle, Twain, Holbrook, and Richard Pryor for us in October:

https://marktwainstudies.com/no-humor-in-heaven-dave-chappelle-richard-pryor-the-mark-twain-prize/ <https://marktwainstudies.com/no-humor-in-heaven-dave-chappelle-richard-pryor-the-mark-twain-prize/>

I haven’t watched the PBS special yet, but I agree with Dwayne that Chappelle is one of the recipients who best resembles the prize’s namesake.

- MS

> On Jan 7, 2020, at 3:50 PM, Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Time for the annual debate:  on PBS tonight, the newest version of the Mark Twain Prize.
>
> Did you miss the announcement of the newest winner?  (Program was taped in the fall, and only now going on air.)
>
> ps: among the most overlooked and worthy potential recipients (this is NOT a posthumous award, by the way):  Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, Jerry Seinfeld, Jim Carrey, and the great political satirist Jon Stewart.
>

> Dr. Hal Bush
>
> Professor of English &
>
> Director of the Undergraduate Program
>
> Saint Louis University

> 314-977-3616
>
> http://halbush.com
>
> author website:  halbush.com

Matt Seybold
Assistant Professor of American Literature & Mark Twain Studies
Elmira College
Editor, MarkTwainStudies.org
MattSeybold.com