From:
Robert Hirst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 1996 10:21:05 -0700
On Sun, 21 Apr 1996, Robert Hirst wrote in reply to Larry Marshburne's
question:

> Yes, *What Is Man?* See *What Is Man? and Other Philosophical Writings,*
> ed. Paul Baender (UCPress, 1973), p. 16, which cites this letter and of
> course gives a lot more information about the documents behind the
> published form of the text.

He should have added that Baender reports, accurately, that "All of the
several pre-publication phases of *What Is Man?* (1906) survive except
printer's proof: the first draft (1898), manuscripts added during the
years 1898-1905, two passages Mark Twain dictated to his secretary,
Isabel V. Lyon, and three typescripts in lineal descent, the last used as
printer's copy for the first edition, and all containing Mark Twain's
holograph revisions." (p. 603).

One of the conventions Baender is using (which the Project has since
abandoned, for good cause) is that when *no* location or source is given
for a document, the document is in the Mark Twain Papers (CU-MARK).  In
any case, Baender goes on to give a blow by blow that should, I think,
allow you to tell exactly what documents existed (and still exist) when
Clemens wrote what he did to Twichell on 29 January 1901.

Bob Hirst