Sender:
From:
JOSEPH GOEKE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 19:54:49 -0500
Hello, all,
I'm wondering if anyone out there recalls seeing the following item from
the May 12, 1853, Hannibal Daily Journal cited in Twain scholarship
(particularly articles about Pudd'nhead Wilson):
"A negro woman in Bowling Green, Ky., was delivered a few days since of
a pair of twins one of whom was perfectly white, and the other a pure
African."
As far as I can tell, this item appeared in the paper when Sam had
temporarily taken over editorial duties for Orion.  As I said, I'm
mainly interested in finding citations of the item in Twain scholarship,
but I'd appreciate any information that might prove useful in providing
some context for it.
Thanks,
Joe Goeke
University of South Carolina