From:
Robert STEWART <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert STEWART <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 2015 22:27:48 +0000
In this discussion, do not forget that today's voting is somewhat more protected than it was in Mark Twain's day. As late as1908 there is this tale of "ballot stuffing" that speaks to the issue: From the Red Bluff News of May 8, 1908: THE HERRIN BUNCH STUFFED BALLOT BOX CAST MORE VOTES THAN THERE WERE WOMEN AND CHILDREN.Up at Weed, In Siskiyou County, the home of Senator Abner Weed, one of the strongest Southern Pacific political representatives in the northern part of the State, and who was himself a candidate for delegate to the Republican State convention, says an exchange, they do politics in a way that would make Abe Ruef and the Herrin boosters about the [San Francisco] bay turn green with envy. There are 139 registered voters in Weed precinct. These 139 voters Include Republicans, Democrats. Prohibitionists and Populists. But in the face of this there were polled at the Republican primaries In Weed precinct yesterday 167 votes and every last one of them was cast for the Herrin ticket, which was headed by Senator Abner Weed. There was a good sprinkling ofDemocratic voters in Weed at the last election and these, with the Republican votes added, did not make a total of 139, the strength of the precinct shown on the register. But yesterday the voters flocked to that precinct in surprising numbers.