From:
Ian Strathcarron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2013 06:57:22 +0100
Thanks for letting me know about YouTube, Scott, I'll look into it. The whole route was covered in video clips so I hope they haven't removed them all.

That's right about the dirty Arab village, which is now not so dirty and not so Arab but has been totally swamped by Karak Nuah. I followed an old British Army map which made life really simple as there was only one caravanserai route from Beirut to Baalbek. If you go to Google Earth and overlay with the 1861 Rumsey Historical Map you can see the route through Zahle from which they excursioned although it's fuzzy. The chapel/madrassah is at 33 50' 38.72" N / 35 54' 45.36" E.

By the way there was an earlier forum post about them spending the first night on top of Mount Lebanon. Mount Lebanon refers to a whole range running down the country and tops at 10,000 feet, so unlikely. If I remember the first night's stop is lost somewhere in new expensive suburbs. The video of Beirut explains and I'll try to sort it out on YouTube.

Happy footstepping!

www.ianstrathcarron.com
+44 (0)7836 633377
skype: strathcarron