Dan Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Feb 2018 17:59:12 -0500
I get more than enough deja vu from political news these days. Now this. Why are we back here again?

On February 12, 2018, at 9:53 AM, Barbara Schmidt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Every time I read about one of these "banning" controversies, I am reminded
of Jocelyn Chadwick's excellent essay in _Critical Insights: Adventures of
Huckleberry Finn_  (Salem Press, 2017). Chadwick decries such efforts which
are undertaken for "children who somehow require the aid of benevolent
white and black critics to think and reflect for them."   Chadwick further
states, "Today's students are proving more than capable of having these
hard conversations; indeed, they flourish in them because they want to
think and break apart and analyze and understand."  A highly recommended
essay from an outstanding Mark Twain scholar for any school board wrestling
with such issues.

Barb