From:
Clay Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Clay Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2019 14:24:19 +0000
We saw "Harriet" last night (the biopic about Araminta Ross/Harriet Tubman).
It was enjoyable/entertaining, and I would recommend it to most people, as all-in-all I consider it a "good" movie.
My "howevers" are: It is (like many flicks of its ilk) a bit formulaic, manipulative, and hero-worshiperish.
I am glad they mentioned the Fugitive Slave Law, one of the most despicable and cowardly pieces of legislation ever enacted.
Normally I loathe the previews they inflict upon the trapped movie-goer, but I am really looking forward to a movie they showed a preview for: "[A,The] Hidden Life" (yet another Nazi movie, but this one about a conscientious objector).
In addition to a faithful rendition of Thomas Mann's "The Magic Mountain" (only virtuoso directors need apply, and producers who care more about making a great film than making a boatload of booty), I would also like to see the following movies made:
* One on John Brown's life, including James Redpath's involvement in the Missouri/Kansas battles, and Harriet Tubman's involvement in the planning for the raid of Harpers Ferry)
* One on the life of Frederick Douglass, including his connection with the Langdon family and Twain.
- B. Clay Shannon