Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2015 12:43:20 -0800
Thanks, Sharon.  I was able to find the description of Lincoln's raft trip
from one of the links you sent  yesterday, and I could download that
section to read later.

Back in 1978, I spent a long time at the Mark Twain Papers when Fred
Anderson was there.  I'd written my thesis on Sam and Henry Clemens and
hoped I'd find more about the Pennsylvania catastrophe in his first
scrapbook.  I was right.  (I also had started a PhD there, when I returned
from the Peace Corps a decade earlier, just to be near the Mark Twain
Papers.  I'd seen the scrapbook back then, brought to me by Fred who was
probably an assistant editor then.  When I remarked how wonderful life was
with its surprises, Fred remarked that the surprises weren't always
wonderful.  When I had to drop out because my mother had a stroke, Fred
himself said you didn't need a degree to write a book.  So I never went
back for one.)  I noticed other articles in there, a burlesque biography
paralleling articles Grant's father had written about him.  I still think
Mark Twain wrote them.

Fred encouraged me to pursue that thought and another editor said if I
was serious I should write an article.  I submitted one to the MLA and
an anonymous reply (LONG after the usual period taken to assess a
submission) rejected it as "speculation."  I've always found that baffling
since  many things back then could be similarly described.  The main thing,
however, was that the subject of the biography was another columnist at the
newspaper (which, I'll admit, I didn't know) so the judge assumed Mark Twain
hadn't written it.  It was a biography written by an "uncle" and saved in
the scrapbook, so I still am convinced Mark Twain wrote them, based mostly
on internal references I recognized from other works.  There's more to be
said about the consequences at the time but I'll spare you!  Mark Twain's
subsequent relationship with Grant naturally figures into the story.

Thanks for the description of another review on the Sanborn book.  It
certainly is any easy read.

THANKS again for your comments and generosity
Arianne Laidlaw

--
Arianne Laidlaw A '58