Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 11:54:35 -0800
Whenever I need to know something about Mark Twain, I start with Kent
Rasmussen's _Mark Twain A to Z_.  There is, of course, a reference to
Florence.  Robert M. Rodney's _Mark Twain Overseas_ contains many
references, photos, and descriptions in M.T.'s own words.  Twain's
_Notebook_ also talks about his stay there, and certainly, his
autobiography in which he talks about his stay at Villa Viviani in
Settignano 12 years before.  He had many headaches and landlady trouble
at the Villa di Quarto in 1893.  He wrote much of _Joan of Arc_ and
_Puddinhead Wilson_ there.  Livy died at Villa Di Quarto in June.  He
talks about Florence in _Innocents Abroad_ but didn't appreciate it then
as he did in later life.

I envy all you Twainiacs headed for Florence, a wonderful city!

Elinor Reiss
San Diego, CA (also a wonderful city!)