From:
"MATTHEW MILLER" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 1995 13:35:19 CST
I always saw Huck Finn in terms of family relationships.  Huck has two
father figures in the book, Jim, and Pap.  Jim is by far the superior
father, and the better human being.  Jim cares more for his own
family then Pap does for Huck, and leaves Huck a better person for
having known him.

    Another aspect of the book I like is the fact that Jim is kinder,
stronger, and more noble then anyone else in the book.

    Finally, Mark Twain is famous for his skill at capturing the way
people speak.  People really did use the "n" word, and removing it
from Huck Fin would weaken the satire and commentary on the
institution of slavery.  As for Jim's superstition and speech,
ANYONE, Black, White, Red, Yellow, Purple or Green with orange
stripes, would be superstitious and use poor grammar if they were
denied anything resembling education, and raised in a region full of
similar lore.

    Well, that's my two cents worth.  It's not much, but it's
something to think about.