Sender:
From:
"Robert E. Stewart [log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2015 15:43:14 -0500
And a Happy New Year to all the Forum.

The short answer to Hal's question is: Sorry, there were no  accurate maps
of any part of Nevada Territory before mid-1862. And no  distribution of the
GLO township plats and/or County Surveyor private land claim  plats which
were created then.

Throughout his stay, Sam Clemens was for all practical purposes, on the
unmapped frontier in "the Territory".

The "maps" that were for sale and in public use in 1861-62 were based on
helping the traveler get from one point to another, and not on actual
surveys. "Mileage" on most of them is better described as "guesstimate."
Certainty and accuracy are absent.

The U.S. General Land Office (GLO) began land surveys in Nevada  Territory
in July, 1861, shortly before Sam arrived in August. The first  finished
plats of those original township surveys, which would have  been available for
the public to study only in the Land Office, are  dated in 1862. These were
created from the surveyors' field notes by  GLO draughtsman Julius Garrett.
They were never printed or otherwise  published/reproduced for use outside
the Land Office, although a few years  later, after Sam had relocated in
California, there were maps created  from the information on the plats.

When Sam was in Aurora, no one there was sure whether they were in
California or Nevada.

The GLO plats of survey, and the more important surveys  themselves (the
dated daily field notes), are now online at
http://www.nv.blm.gov/LandRecords/.   The field notes often contain information which is not on the plats.
For reference, Carson City is in township 15N, 20 E.

There is a remarkable digital collection of early Nevada "maps" at
http://contentdm.library.unr.edu/explore/NVMapsExplore/nvmaps/nvmaps-home.html .

The "true copies" of GLO plats which are part of the University  library
site collection were marked up by the State Land  office to keep track of
state land grant sales. But the  all-important daily field notes are not on that
site, only the blm  site. (No brag, just fact: When I was on loan from BLM
to the Nevada  Division of State Lands,  I was responsible for getting
these plats digitized.)

And for the record, Sam's "Toll Road" map in Roughing It is unrelated to
reality.

Hal, I hope this helps clarify why there is confusion.

Bob Stewart
Carson City

In a message dated 1/3/2015 9:43:26 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,