From:
Mac Donnell Rare Books <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2019 16:36:54 +0000
Two sources come immediately to mind:

1. Since you can't write unless you read, and the more you read the
better you write, I'd look at Twain's reading. Alan Gribben has written
extensively on this topic over the last fifty years and he gathers
together his 25 essays in the first volume of his revised and much
expanded masterpiece on Mark Twain's library, due out in March. My
review of that first volume will appear in the Forum. At least two of
his essays directly address the question you've raised. If you can't
wait until March, visit JSTOR.

2. Take a look at Ellen Garvey's Writing with Scissors, a book I
reviewed in the Forum. The focus of her book is on scrap-booking, but
she also discusses the newspaper exchange system. That system was
critical to Twain's formative years as a newspaper apprentice
(Hannibal), writer (NV, CA), and editor (Buffalo). Part of his job was
reading every page of every paper that arrived every day on the doorstep
of the newspaper, looking for fodder and filler for the columns of his
paper. That should lead you to Ed Branch's Literary Apprenticeship of
Mark Twain (1950), the MTP volumes of his earliest writings, etc.
One good example of how the exchange system directly shaped his early
writing is his essay on Hannibal that appeared in the American Courier,
a Philadelphia newspaper, in 1852. He wrote that piece in close
imitation of a piece by somebody from Watertown NY who wrote about their
town in that paper a short time before, as part of a series on American
towns. I have original copies of both issues of that paper, with Twain's
piece on Hannibal, and the piece that he copied, if you want images.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive