Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2013 14:09:30 -0500
My copy came in yesterday's mail.

Can't wait to dive into it.

Thanks for the "shameless promotion" and the helpful
hints.  Happy Holidays everyone!

Roger Durrett
Charlotte, NC

In a message dated 12/13/2013 1:26:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Bob  Stewart's biographical round-up of Sam Clemen's Nevada friends is
indeed
a  good read. I did not mean to neglect it; you will absolutely learn
things
you did not know. There is also an insightful article on Twain's reasons
for
not serving in the Civil War by Michael Eckman. That's been a  much-debated
subject, and this brings us closer to  resolution.

Larry Berkove's article on Hadleyburg explores not just the  obvious hoaxes
but some you may have missed. Philip Davis's piece on  Twain's dream life
examines Twain's dream writings and his concept of a  dream self and may
take
you places you've only dreamed about. Darryl  Baskin's piece on Hank Morgan
was left unpublished at the time of Darryl's  death in 1992 but it's not a
bit dated after two decades. Barb Schmidt's  addenda to her roster of Late
Great Twain Scholars is a surprising four  pages long. Three of those on
the
roster who died in the 1990s were born  during Twain's lifetime. Being a
Twainian is generally good for your  health.

MTJ 51 will make a great stocking stuffer, or better yet, buy  your
favorite
Twainian or library a subscription for  Christmas!

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake  Drive