Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 20:17:12 -0500
I haven't finished The Singular Mark Twain yet, but the book and its Twain
certainly breathe fire... would that THIS Twain were around today!
Hitchens' facts re what is argued in the book are simply wrong.  Maybe
pressure to print his review weeks before publication of the book didn't
give him time to read it or to disguise his personal crusade or his hope to
score attention as the Amis review flap did.  He was wistful in a Q&A in
NYMagazine that his anti-Kaplan attempt wasn't getting that kind of
attention.  Reading  reviews, one must  consider the source... . Fortunately
most readers recognize ulterior motives, made the more apparent by
indiscriminate and overthetop fury.   Meanwhile I found Carl Rollyson's
review (tho sofar I haven't been able to download it)-- he's someone who
knows what writing biography entails -- interesting in its ideas.

L. Ackerson