From:
"James S. Leonard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 10:02:12 -0500
In 1883, Mark Twain, perhaps as a way of putting off working on
Huckleberry Finn, wrote what he referred to as a "small book" titled
"1002d Arabian Night."  Howells discouraged him from publishing it, and
it remained unpublished until Franklin Rogers included it in his Mark
Twain Papers volume Mark Twain's Satires & Burlesques (1967).  As far as
I know, this is the only place it can be found in print.  Does anyone
know whether it has been published anywhere other than in Satires &
Burlesques?

By the way, Rogers indicates that Twain himself drew 131 pictures to
accompany the text, but they were lost in the abortive publication
process and haven't been recovered (maybe they're in someone's attic).
On the other hand, having seen some of Twain's drawings, I'm not sure I
can properly term that a loss.

Jim Leonard