From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2010 20:43:09 -0500
He rode in an Oldsmobile driven by a race-car driver (who was killed a short
time later in an auto accident). That image was reproduced as a postcard
advertising Olds Motor Works. That image should be online. I can give you
the details on the driver if you like.

While running errands with Henry Rogers, he was left sitting in Rogers'
parked electric car when it slipped into gear and slowly began coasting down
a street in Fairhaven. Rather than trying to guide or stop the car, Twain
simply hopped out, and the car ran aground on a curb or sidewalk with no
harm done to man or machine.

I've seen two photos where he was sitting in a car (besides the one with him
in the Olds), and of course there are a couple of photos of him admiring a
huge touring car parked in front of Stormfield the day of Clara's wedding.

I also seem to recall him writing an angry "letter to the editor" in
Harper's Magazine (or a newspaper) complaining about dangerous drivers, ca.
1905. I think he also campaigned against cars being allowed in Bermuda.

He might have felt differently if he'd ever climbed a hill with me in my 20
year old Miata with after-market supercharger. On the other hand, maybe that
would have just confirmed his worst fears.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive