From:
Susanna Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:21:06 -0400
Dear All (esp. librarians and book collectors) -
I am interested in locating a rare variant of a first edition of Mark
Twain and Charles Dudley Warner's _The Gilded Age.
_
Specifically, in the_Bibliography of American Literature_, Jacob Blanck
discusses a first edition (@1873 or 1874) of _The Gilded Age_ which was a
_forged forgery_. (It was sold by the American Publishing Company to look as
if it was a purloined subscription book, when actually it was one the
company produced themselves).   He doesn't say which library in the United
States has this variant copy.   I have been checking in the most likely rare
book libraries around the country and so far have come up with naught
(including the Houghton, the Huntington, etc..)   While Blanck indicates
which libraries held first editions at the time of his writing (which is an
admirable but incomplete list anyway) he doesn't indicate where he came
across this specific variant and whose hands it might be in then or now.
Has anyone seen an 1873 or 1874 edition that lacks the name of the
illustrator  White  on the title page?
According to Blanck, the  fake forgery  carries the statement 'Fully
Illustrated From New Designs by Hoppin, Stephens, Williams, Etc., Etc.' Note
absence of the name 'White.'
See - Blanck, Jacob, comp. _Bibliography of American Literature._ Vol. 2.
Bibliographic Society of America. New Haven: Yale University Press, entry
#3357. 1955-1991. 184-185.
Thanks so much for any assistance or advice you can share.   Unless you
think an answer would be of general interest to the list, I ask that you
reply to me privately at [log in to unmask]

Gratefully,

Susanna Ashton
Clemson University