From:
Bob Gill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 2020 21:49:36 -0400
>Am I the only one that considers "The American Claimant" to be a masterpiece?
>It ranks thus in my estimation of Twain's books:
>1) Adventures of Huckleberry Finn2) Roughing It3) The Adventures of Tom Sawyer4) The American Claimant
>- B. Clay Shannon

Having read all of Twain’s books several times over the years, back in about 2012 I decided to read them straight through in chronological order, something I’d never done before. I was tempted to skip American Claimant, since I knew I didn’t like it, but I figured that since it was relatively short I’d include it just for the sake of completeness. I regretted that decision almost immediately; AC left such a bad taste in my mouth that I was about halfway through Pudd’nhead Wilson before I was able to appreciate that book as I usually do.

So I don’t know if you’re the only one who considers AC a masterpiece, but I have to say I hope so. For my money, it’s easily the worst of his full-length books.

-- Bob G.