From:
Harold Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 2009 12:08:01 -0500
Folks;  I have been scratching my head looking for a quote that I knew I had
somewhere about this topic -- and about our hilltop trance on the last
Saturday of the conference -- and this morning I sound it (it did not make
the final cut for the book, along with about 40,000 other words):

            According to Clara, [MT's] two favorite songs were “Swing Low,
Sweet Chariot” and “Go Chain the Lion Down” -- “When he sang “Rise and Shine
and Give God the Glory, Glory,” he gave out so much fervor of spirit that
one could never forget it” (188).
            One fact that DID make the cut in the book:  MT sat at the piano
and sang “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot” as Livy died in Italy.
Now I am going to hunt down some good recordings of “Go Chain the Lion Down”
-- a song that I admittedly do not know off the top of my head....

--
Harold K. Bush, Ph.D
Professor of English