From:
"Ladd, Barbara" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2010 10:46:13 -0400
Andrew,
Many thanks for this information. I've checked Everett Emerson's book and the reference to "Some Rambling Notes of an Idle Excursion," published in the Atlantic Monthly in October of 1877, is on pages 94-95.  But this, too, was published over the pen name "Mark Twain," not Samuel Clemens. (This information courtesy of Cornell's Making of America collection.) Emerson seems to be saying that the "Notes" were not written in the voice of "Mark Twain," but they were indeed signed "Mark Twain."

His point, here, re. the persona is interesting--I studied Mark Twain with Everett Emerson at UNC and know him to have been interested in the matter of the relationship between Clemens and his creation "Mark Twain." In the book, The Authentic Mark Twain, he writes that the "Rambling Notes" are written in the persona of "an observant, curious, rather dignified man of forty-two" and takes this as evidence of a crisis of creativity in the career. I'll have to reread "In Defense of Harriet Shelley," but it seems to me that the voice in that piece (if I recall correctly) is also that of a "rather dignified man" of Victorian sensibilities.

Barbara