From:
Joseph Lemak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 2020 10:45:47 -0400
Dear Mark Twain Forum Members,

For the last few years, the Center for Mark Twain Studies has collaborated
with the Chemung County Historical Society by holding a Mark Twain-themed
lecture series at the Historical Society's museum.  CCHS has a very good
collection of images and documents related to Mark Twain's legacy in
Elmira.  It also does a great job with public education, a facet somewhat
lacking in CMTS due to its small staff size.

The CCHS lecture series is usually composed of Quarry Farm Fellows and
members of the CMTS staff.  I've found that scholars are happy to come down
off the East Hill and talk about their projects to an appreciative Elmira
audience.  Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, some members of the 2020 Class of
Quarry Farm Fellows have not been able to take advantage of their
residencies due to travel restrictions.  Unfortunately, the CCHS Twain
lecture series had to be cancelled this year.

In lieu of a 2020 lecture series and in an attempt to keep some kind of
good energy moving forward, CCHS has come up with a project in which all
members of the Mark Twain Forum can participate.  Please see below.  Thanks
for your consideration.

*"Mark Twain Aloud"*

What can Mark Twain offer our present moment? Although we are not able to
hold our annual Mark Twain talks this September, the Chemung County
Historical Society is inviting scholars to record a short reading of a
favorite Twain writing as a way to connect with public audiences.

To participate, record a 2-3 minute video that contains an introduction of
who you are; your selected Twain passage; and an unscripted 1-2 sentences
explaining why you chose that passage. We will collage these readings
together to create a free public presentation that will be shared on the
Center for Mark Twain Studies and Chemung County Historical Society's
channels. We will accept videos until August 31.

We hope to see everyone next year at the annual talks.

To submit a video or for more details, contact

Susan Zehnder

Education Director

Chemung Co Historical Society

415 East Water Street
Elmira, NY 14901

Dr. Joseph Lemak
Director of the Center for Mark Twain Studies
Assistant Professor of History
Elmira College
The Rose Office, Cowles Hall
Elmira, New York 14901
(607) 735-1941
MarkTwainStudies.org, the official website of CMTS