From:
Richard Reineccius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 22:45:59 +0100
The smartest person I've ever met regarding Bixby and Twain - and the
river -
was Tommy Thompson, ace banjo picker with the Chapel Hill-based Red Clay
Ramblers Band.  He had worked for the Corps of Engineers on the Lower
Miss, to
support his music habit, before he and a partner at UNC did a
well-researched
musical for the Playmakers' Theatre in Chapel Hill called simply "Life
on the
Mississippi."  I produced the play and played Bixby, about a dozen+
years ago
in San Francisco. He visited the production, and we had a lively chat
about
Bixby.  Only a touch of Thompson's knowledge was in the play.

You could probably reach Tommy through the Ramblers' record producer
(Rhino,
maybe? Flying Fish? - should be easy to find) in Chicago, or by writing
plain postcard or letter to Playmakers' Theatre, affiliated with UNC in
Chapel
Hill, NC. (I'm in Poland, or I'd check it personally)

Richard Reineccius, Lodz, PL