From:
"Martin D. Zehr" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2013 09:54:31 -0800
I don't believe Twain played the banjo, but he certainly loved banjo music, probably as a direct result of the traveling minstrel shows he saw in Hannibal, during the period when the minstrel show was a national craze, and the banjo, having crossed racial lines through the efforts of a southerner, Joel Sweeney, became its instrumental backbone.   There's a Twain quote regarding banjo music, something to the effect, "Give me the banjo," which is commonly seen on banjo sites, e.g., banjohut.com, and Twain was a fan of Polk Miller & His Old South Quartette (sic), featuring four African-Americans and Polk Miller, who played clawhammer-style banjo, pre-dating bluegrass, "Scruggs-style" playing.  Twain said "I think that Polk Miller, and his wonderful four, is the only thing this country can furnish that is originally and utterly American."  If you're interested in listening to this music, just as Twain would have, a CD of the original recordings is
 available through www.tompkinssquare. com

I'm not sure that this answers your question, but the price is right.

Martin Zehr
Kansas City, Missouri