From:
Wesley Britton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:08:05 -0500
I not only would recommend Twainians taking a trip to Hannibal, but, if
possible, do so over a July 4t weekend or the like. When I was last there,
it was so good to watch the celebrations and all the townspeople gathering
around the bandstand in their lawnchairs. It really made me think of "The
Music Man" as well as Twain. It's a place where small-town America is still
alive. I really enjoyed the people.

I agree some of the stuff there is "fluffy"--the wax museum and the like. On
top of that, it wasn't so long ago some Twainians were complaining about new
sites being proposed that were historically inaccurate.  I recall reviewing
one video put out by some group about Twain and Hannibal in which it was
claimed Twain spent time in a Union prison before being released. Gotta
watch that stuff. And I appreciate the views of those who believe history
should be presented in a wider context which includes showing some history
many would prefer to forget. So the more legit museums are for the serious;
riverboat cruises for the general public; there's lots of stuff for folks in
between. And don't forget the cave--you can camp there and walk over and
enjoy spelunking in literature and the past.

Wes