From:
Jim Zwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 14:08:03 -0400
I often use the Making of America sites to look up early usages of
words in the way Terry did and want to recommend them to anyone
who isn't familiar with them.  There are two sites, one at Cornell and
one at the University of Michigan:

http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/moa/

http://moa.umdl.umich.edu/

They have put complete texts of many 19th century journals and
books online, and the journals are an especially valuable source for
Twain materials.  Among the journals are the Overland Monthly,
Harpers, Century, Atlantic Monthly, and the North American Review,
and other tid bits about Twain can be found in Appleton's Journal,
Catholic World, and Punchinello.  For anyone who wants to get
more than a reactive familiarity with Artemus Ward, his writings in
Vanity Fair are online in the Univ. of Michigan site.  One interesting
bit there is an 1861 use of "Mark Twain" as the name for a
character in a piece called "The North Star":

http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/m/moajrnl/moajrnl-
idx?notisid=ACG4267-1523VANI-63

(you might have to cut and paste that into one line)

Anyone care to speculate about the possibility that Artemus Ward
gave Sam Clemens his nom de plume?

Jim Zwick
http://www.boondocksnet.com/