From:
Peggy A Dolan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 19:46:59 -0400
Several years ago, Ted Koppel did a a Nightline broadcast about the
controversy over Huck Finn.  His guests included an actor who was playing
Jim in a dramatic presentation (pro); a prominent white male critic
(pro); and an African-American male PhD - in education, I think - (anti).
The part I will never forget was when the PhD complained that Twain had
used the the n-word xxx number of times, but had never once used the word
"honky." Koppel positively stammered. It is incredible to me how
otherwise intelligent people seem to be capable of great leaps of illogic
whenever this debate resumes.

If anyone happens to know where I might get a copy of that Nightline
broadcast, I'd be very grateful for the information.

Peggy A Dolan